What can be better than celebrating Spring Forward with a night of wine and food pairings with your best pals (minus losing the hour of sleep and toddlers that don't understand Daylight Savings)? This week, we are sharing some of our favorite wines, and the food we love to enjoy them with!
Our lineup featured longtime favorites, such as Mirabelle Brut and Cline Cashmere, along with some new gems - a Pinot Noir from Healdsburg, CA that has only just recently become available for purchase in Alabama, and the favorite of the night, a Lambrusco that was recommended to us by the good folks at Classic Wine Company. Sauvignon blanc, Riesling and Zinfandel rounded out our selections.
The wonderful thing about these wines is that they are all super versatile. While we planned our menu with specific pairings in mind, we loved experimenting with the different blends and dishes, and discovered some new favorite combinations.
- Parmesan & Cracked Pepper Kettle Chips - paired with Mirabelle Brut
- Smoked Salmon with Creme Fraiche & Chives on Sweet Potato Chips - paired with Ram's Gate Sauvignon Blanc
- Cheese & Charcuterie - paired with Kung Fu Girl Riesling (as well as several of the reds)
- Bacon Wrapped Dates and Baked Brie with Balsamic Cherries - paired with Banshee Pinot Noir
- Flatbreads with Italian Sausage & Kale- paired with Passalacqua Zinfandel
- Chocolate Truffles & Vanilla Sea Salt - paired with Cline Cashmere
- Nutella & Biscoff Cookies - paired with Grasparossa di Castelvetro Lambrusco
NOTE: With the exception of Ram's Gate and Passalacqua, these wines can be found at Classic Wine Company, Piggly Wiggly and Whole Foods.
The key to any successful (or rather, enjoyable!) wine and food pairing is not taking it too seriously. Flavor notes and suggested pairings exist for a reason - without it, we wouldn't know that a creamy bleu cheese can make a dessert wine sing. But for us, the most fun comes from trying new things and discovering new favorites, all with our favorite people. After all - it's not just about the wine or the food. It's creating an experience!